…to prepare God’s people for works of service, so that the body of Christ
may be built up until we all reach unity in the faith
and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature,
attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ.
Ephesians 4:12-13 (NIV)
Our Adult Ministry is designed to address the unique challenges and opportunities of all stages of life. Regardless of marital status – and in the middle of aging bodies, children and parents – we want to help you develop healthy and accountable relationships. Our ultimate goal is to glorify God together by following the Jesus Way.
Our mission at First Baptist Church is to glorify God by following The Jesus Way. We believe that followers of Jesus (Christians) should be on a life-long journey of transformation… being changed from the inside out. God expects us to keep growing and maturing throughout our lives. He wants us to be healthy and productive for his glory.
We are using the imagery of the Psalm 1 Tree to help illustrate how this looks in our lives. There are 3 parts to the “Psalm 1 Tree” that we want to focus on:
Purposeful (purpose) “deep roots”…
Who am I? What am I to do?
- core beliefs… strategic, intentional investment of our lives
- daily Bible readings… reflecting on Scripture
- spiritual disciplines… seeking to know GOD
The key to a healthy tree is a good root system. That’s why we start by focusing on “deepening our roots.” What happens below ground (in private) determines what happens above ground (in public). Deep roots come from knowing who we are and what we believe. We need to be grounded in the Word of God and orient our lives around it.
Transformational (growth) “strong trunk”…
What is happening to me?
In order for a tree to reach its full potential – and be able to support the weight of branches and leaves – it has to have a strong trunk. We have identified 6 key growth areas (Learn, Worship, Share, Love, Trust, Obey) that will help us in this process of spiritual formation.
- Learn – Biblical knowledge, spiritual truth & insight is needed if we are going to be formed spiritually.
- Worship – We must be growing in our worship life. Seeking God is vital to any spiritual growth process.
- Share – Evangelism and missions—sharing Jesus with our neighbors and our world is an outgrowth of our devotion to Him.
- Love – Significant spiritual relationships—the Christian life was not designed to be lived in isolation. Followers of The Way are on a shared journey.
- Trust – Selflessness and stewardship—surrendering control of life and possessions is a step toward maturity and moves us away from our natural tendency to be selfish. Also serving others with proper motivation is indicative of our growth.
- Obey – One tangible sign of spiritual growth is obedience. Walking by faith certainly requires obedience! This process leads to our transformation and offers us a life of productivity. (John 3: 3, 7; 14:6; Romans 8:28-30; 2 Corinthians 3:17-18; Colossians 3:1-10)
Influential (impact) “fruit and shade”…
What is happening through me?
Ultimately, a Psalm 1 Tree should benefit everything around it… providing fruit, shade and lodging. God blesses us so that we can be a blessing to others. We believe that transformed people impact culture and community. That starts at home and reaches around the world.