The Lord’s Supper is a beautiful image of Jesus’ sacrifice
for our sins. This experience uses all of the senses, which can be very
appealing in the preschool years. However, the phrases that go with the
experience can be very confusing – “this is my body… take and eat”. Here are
ways to include your child in The Lord Supper experience without them actually
– Before The Lord Supper, prepare the child by
explaining what Dr. Wiles will do and what you will do, as a Christian, when
The Lord Supper is served.
– Explain that The Lord Supper is a special time
in our worship experience where we remember all the things that Jesus did for
us. We take this time to say “thank you” to God. Keep this explanation simple.
– Communicate that this is a way we show our love
for Jesus after we have prayed to ask Jesus to be Lord of our life and have
become a Christian.
– Include your child in the experience by allowing
them to draw pictures of what they see around them during The Lord Supper.
– Whisper a “thank you” prayer with your child
after you have taken the bread and the cup. Allow them to say a prayer as well.
– Enjoy these teachable moments – they make an