The Advisory Council functions as an aggregate assembly of lay leaders and staff who represent the key areas of the ministry and missional life of our church. It serves as a bridge to create a comprehensive discussion among these leaders to provide a holistic oversight of the ministry and missions of First Baptist Church.
Statement of Mission:
Facilitate coordination of congregational governance by lay leaders and staff; provide strategic planning, oversight and recommendations to the church, staff, councils, committees, and ministry teams; assure responsible stewardship of all church resources.
Membership consists of 10-13 voting members:
- Officers of the following councils and committees:
- Deacon Council Chair
- Finance Committee Chair
- Finance Committee Vice Chair
- Great Commission Council Chair
- Personnel Committee Chair
- At-large members: Four at-large members will serve staggered four-year terms. At-large members rotating off the Advisory Council may not serve during the next two years, unless serving as an officer listed in section a) above. In order to represent the entire church body, a good-faith effort should be made to enlist men and women who will represent the diversity of our congregation.
- Staff: The Senior Pastor, and up to three (3) Associate Pastors.
General Duties Include:
- Facilitate communication across committees and councils to improve quality of decisions;
- Provide a sounding board, accountability and encouragement to staff; and,
- Provide advice and recommendations, but not mandates, to committees and councils.
- Relate to all church committees, councils, ministry teams, task forces, non-standing committees, and staff by inviting their recommendations and participation as the Advisory Council considers appropriate;
- Recommend the establishment, dissolution, and statements of mission of standing committees and councils for Church action;
- Establish and dissolve task forces and non-standing committees, and appoint their leadership;
- Nominate the chair, chair-elect and members of the Committee on Committees, to be voted on by the church;
- Evaluate the progress of ministry programs and prioritize use of church resources;
- Recommend policies and procedures related to the church’s management of personnel and financial matters and the preparation of the annual church budget;
- In cooperation with the Finance Committee, establish goals regarding major spending categories to guide the budget preparation process in alignment with the strategic priorities of the church;
- Communicate the annual budget goals to the church staff members and committees responsible for preparing and administering portions of the church budgets;
- Assist in developing the proposed annual church budget in cooperation with the staff and Finance Committee;
- Monitor and ensure “Guidelines for FBCA and its Affiliated Ministries” are followed.
- Call and set the dates, times, and locations of business meetings;
- Ensure that all church policies and procedures are properly maintained and updated; and,
- Review the current governance structure every five years and submit to the Deacons and Church any recommended changes.
At-large Advisory Council members must have served effectively in FBCA leadership roles a minimum of five years and should meet the qualifications of I Timothy 3: 1 – 7, including:
- spiritually wise, mature persons;
- good reputations and above reproach;
- experienced or gifted in administration,
- not lovers of money or quarrelsome; and,
- gentle, self-controlled, and temperate in nature.
The Advisory Council shall recommend qualified candidates for at-large positions to the Committee on Committees for consideration.
The Chair shall preferably be an at-large Member with at least two years of Advisory Council experience. The Chair is responsible for preparing the agenda in coordination with the Vice Chair and Senior Pastor. The Chair shall consider the most appropriate methods for soliciting feedback to improve the functioning of the Advisory Council.
The Vice-Chair shall preferably be an at-large member with at least one year of Advisory Council service, shall also serve as the chair-elect, and shall customarily be nominated as Chair following a year of service as Vice-Chair.
The Advisory Council meets monthly. A 2/3 vote is required for passage of any item before the Advisory Council. At the Chair’s discretion, time may be allocated during which staff members, other than the Senior Pastor, may be excused from the meeting.
Approved by the Church on 04/04/2018
Reviewed by Advisory Council on 04/18/2018